Tag Information

Motor Vehicle Information

The Wabaunsee County Treasurer's Office is an agent for the State of Kansas for registering and titling motor vehicles. We issue license plates upon receipt of proper documentation and submission of the correct fees. The fees include registration fees, personal property taxes, title fees, and sales tax, if applicable. Each year the State sends out courtesy reminders six weeks prior to the expiration date of the license plate. It is a state law that every vehicle has proper insurance coverage before the vehicle can be registered. We handle the initial titling of vehicles in Wabaunsee County, as well as the annual renewals. Once a vehicle is purchased, the new owner has 60 days in which to bring their documentation into our office to be processed. If the purchase is an out-of-state title, the owner of the vehicle needs to have a vehicle identification inspection completed. This is done at the Wabaunsee County Sheriff’s Department for a charge of $ 20.00, in cash only. Inspections should be done by appointment. Please get your inspection done by 4:00 p.m. if you wish to complete your title application on the same day. Some circumstances could require additional documentation. 

Mandatory Vehicle Documentation

Registration Renewals

  • Present current proof of insurance
  • All forms of payment accepted, using a card will cost an extra 2.5%

Title Applications

  • Present properly assigned title
    • Signed by both buyer and seller
    • Completed purchase price on back of title or on a bill of sale
    • Completed odometer reading on back of title
    • Completed date of sale on back of title
  • Present sales tax receipt if purchased from Kansas dealer
  • Present sales invoice if purchased from out-of-state dealer
  • Sales tax will be due if purchased from any individual or purchased out of state
  • VIN inspection is required if purchased on out-of-state title
  • Purchaser/owner must be present to sign title application
  • Present current proof of insurance
  • Present current driver's license or company FEIN

For other situations or if you have questions contact Wabaunsee County Treasurer's Office at (785) 765-3812 or (785) 765-3440.

Tax Check

Vehicle Tag Schedule

The license plates in Kansas expire based on the first letter in the last name of the first person on the title.

Last name begins with:

Tag expires at midnight on:


February 28 (or 29)


March 31

C - D

April 30

E - F - G

May 31

H - I

June 30

J - K - L

July 31

M - N - O

August 31

P - Q - R

September 30


October 31

T - V - W

November 30

U - X - Y - Z

December 31

Title Information

Beginning July 1, 2009, the State of Kansas will be requiring that the names on the assignment of new owners on vehicle titles read exactly as the person's state issued driver's license or ID card.  Business names should be listed as they appear on FEIN documents.  This is being done as part of the Division of Vehicles DMV Modernization Program to allow easy access and cross referencing for state and local agencies. 

Dealers should advise vehicle buyers of this requirement when completing a title assignment or MSO.  Dealers should request the owner provide a drivers license or identification card.  A business should provide documentation such as how that business name appears on FEIN documents. 

Lienholders should require all security agreements and notice of security interest forms be completed using the name as it appears on the drivers license or identification card.  In the case of a business, please use FEIN documentation to obtain the correct business information.  This requirement will ensure the NSI can be used as a lien release and the lien release will match the electronic title being held by the Titles and Registration Bureau.  

Military Exemption

Military personnel have the option of registering in the county they reside in or in their home state of record.

Military exemption only applies to personal property taxes and not sales tax on vehicles. Vehicles coming in to Kansas must have been registered in previous location at least 6 months or they will be subject to sales tax, if not paid in previous location. For the exemption to apply, the person in the military must be on the title as an owner. Leased vehicles are NOT except from taxation.

Office hours are 8:00 am to 4:30 pm Monday - Friday. Owner must be present to sign application.

Items Needed for Military Registration in Kansas:

  1. Title (If title is in lienholder's possession we need a faxed copy, front and back, of the the title. Our fax number is (785)765-3992.
  2. VIN Inspection is required on all out of state vehicles. Our Sheriff's Office does this, by appointment, with a $ 20.00 cash fee. If inspection is done after 4:00 pm there is no guarantee you will be able to register your vehicle that day. The Treasurer's Office closes at 4:30 pm.
  3. Current proof of insurance that includes the vehicle ID number and expiration date of the insurance policy.
  4. Current full month LES, orders and/or ORB or ERB.



Most cars




Trucks 12,00 lbs. & less






Lienholder Fee

$ 1.50